Skip to main content

5 Years

Chiari Malformation Art | Pixels

 March 28th, 2016. That was the day my life forever changed. 

Here we are now, March 28th, 2021, five years later, and my life is no where where I expected or thought it would be that day when I was 19 years old sitting at Swedish Neuroscience Institute at Cherry Hill in Seattle, still a dance major at Cornish College of the Arts. I don't like thinking about that day in detail, in fact when I do, I feel like I become a different person. The past few weeks leading up to today felt very different than in years past. 

On March 17th, I was lucky enough to be able to get my second dose of the COVID vaccine and I feel SO relieved which brought a lot of emotions up for me. My anxiety has eased up a small bit and a weight has come off my shoulders. It's been a year since this pandemic hit, and I've never been more aware of my health then ever before. 

Yesterday, my dancers had their first competition in almost 2 YEARS. COVID took away all of our competitions we were scheduled for last year and left us heartbroken, but we came back stronger then we've ever been. I felt so at ease with my students and had full faith in them and they delivered. The one thing that I know Chiari did for me was bring me home to where I needed to be for others. 

I caught myself the past week staring off into space often and getting caught up in my thoughts, my anxiety, my PTSD. It didn't help that I had an MRI this past Wednesday on my spine to double check everything after having a fall at the end of February. I say that I don't like to think about this day 5 years ago because, well, who would? I had NO idea how terrible my case would be. I had everything going well for me. I was young, healthy, active... & yes, my first surgery was successful for a few months, until the inevitable happened and I became even worse. When most 20 year olds were in their dorm rooms studying, socializing, and living their life, I was in the ICU having life saving brain surgery for the second time. I try my hardest to not compare my current life to others my age, or even those who are younger than me, but it's so hard, almost impossible. (Very thankful for my therapist.) I tell myself that the path my life has had to go down is extremely different than everyone around me. No one truly understands, even I don't somedays. I just have to have faith that I'll end up on solid ground. 

Here I am, 5 years later, now 24 years old, still sick. I know that Chiari Malformation has no cure, but I still don't think that it has hit me yet. People ask me all the time if I remember what it felt like to not have pain, and I truly don't remember. I've technically been having symptoms since I was 16 years old ... My greatest wish is to wake up one day and have no headache, but I know that won't happen, and one day, hopefully soon, I will accept that. This year has been full of trials as all years are, but I at least now kind of have a "routine." Each morning I wake up, move around in bed a little bit, assess my AM symptoms, take any medication I need to, and start my day. The trunk of my car always has extra water, ginger ale, and snacks, and my purse has all of my meds in it in case I need anything at any time. I am always prepared and on guard. Chronic illness will do that to you. It changes you. The first five years of Chiari were hell, and I'm praying like crazy that the next five treat me nicer. Regardless, I will fight like hell with all of the strength I have. #conquerchiari 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Months & Counting (Posted 8/8/2016)

Hello everyone. It's about time for another update! Many things have happened in the past three weeks, but I just find it weird that I'm a day away from my three month post-op mark. It feels like it was just yesterday that I was still a freshman at Cornish moving out and trying to prepare for the surgery itself! July 24th-31st I was able to be in Huntington Beach, CA with my best friend Megan! It was such a perfect getaway, nice and relaxing. It was so great to see her and to be able to escape my reality, even if it was just for a week. I could write about that trip for hours, so I will just keep it at that so I don't begin to ramble. When I got home, I didn't give myself a break. The next day, I took a contemporary class, taught a class, and went to physical therapy and I did pretty well I have to say! I've been working really hard in my rehabilitation process with physical therapy and massage therapy and it's been helping a lot. At my 6 week appointment, I was...

2 Weeks Post-Op (Posted 5/23/2016)

I cannot believe it has only been two weeks since I had my massive surgery. I can honestly say that I am pretty darn proud of how far I have come since May 9th. On a side note, I was trying to create a mid-week post, but for now at least I think updating once a week through my blog is most beneficial for myself. This way all of my followers can get a summary of how things are and I can reflect on my personal progress! So here we are. This past week has been a lot easier than the last. After my puking incident, we were able to get my pain under control and have it stay that way consistently. I was noticing a pattern of what times during the day I get tired or need rest and when my pain is increased. By switching some of my medications around on my time schedule, I was feeling a lot better and more relaxed (to the highest degree a brain surgery patient can be). Wednesday was my first day out of the house since Oliver's adoption and it was so successful! I'm going to be honest and...

Day 4 Post-Op (Posted 5/13/2016)

Well, I had my surgery! Check in time for it was at 6am, so I was up bright and early along with my whole family. My anxiety level was through the roof as expected. The first nurse then called me in and took me back to registration and I had my mom come with me. At that point I had changed into my gown and was on the hospital bed with an IV line in me. It was all happening so quickly and I was so scared that I started crying. Oh and of course I am the youngest patient in there... But my nurse Jenn at that time was super nice and helped me out and so did my mom. Then I had to say goodbye to my family and go down into pre-op and OR. I started crying again during pre-op cause there were so many weird noises, oxygen tanks, needles, and bright bright BRIGHT big lights. My anxiety was even higher. So after I met my anesthesiologist, I was given a calming medication (aka "happy juice") and right after they inserted that into my IV. After that moment, I blacked out and don't reme...