Skip to main content

4 Weeks Post-Op (Posted 6/6/2016)

I can't believe it's been just about a month since I've had my surgery! It feels like time has gone by so dang slow, but if I reflect on my journey, time has gone by relatively quick. I have been making some pretty good strides. We are successfully weaning me down off my narcotics. I got rid of my 3:15am dose, I only take a muscle relaxer at 12:15am, and during the day my dose of oxy has decreased from 3 to 2 tablets and I every other dose I only take 1 tablet. I'm hoping that this week I will get down to only taking 1 oxy and then if that works, the following week I could take an oxy only if I don't take a muscle relaxer. That's my hope at least!


Lately I have been thinking about how being diagnosed with Chiari is permanently changing my life. Before surgery I was just mainly focused on the fact that I was having a major operation done and honestly I was just trying to get through the rest of the semester at Cornish in one piece. After surgery for the past three weeks I have just been trying to get through the pain and keep myself from not getting too frustrated. I see now that I won't be able to be as adventurous and as carefree as I used to be. I have to be mindful of how I live each day from start to finish because I know that if I push myself too much, I won't be able to do all that I want to do and I will be paying for it the next day. If anything, this diagnosis has taught me to love every minute of every single day and to live more simply. Yes there will be good days and bad days, days where I do end up going over my limit and days where I can't see to think positively. I am prepared for this now, at least I think I am!


There is a really great article/theory for helping others understand what it is like living with a chronic illness and pain disorder. It's called the spoon theory. Below is a link to the awesome article.


Have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Years

 March 28th, 2016. That was the day my life forever changed.  Here we are now, March 28th, 2021, five years later, and my life is no where where I expected or thought it would be that day when I was 19 years old sitting at Swedish Neuroscience Institute at Cherry Hill in Seattle, still a dance major at Cornish College of the Arts. I don't like thinking about that day in detail, in fact when I do, I feel like I become a different person. The past few weeks leading up to today felt very different than in years past.  On March 17th, I was lucky enough to be able to get my second dose of the COVID vaccine and I feel SO relieved which brought a lot of emotions up for me. My anxiety has eased up a small bit and a weight has come off my shoulders. It's been a year since this pandemic hit, and I've never been more aware of my health then ever before.  Yesterday, my dancers had their first competition in almost 2 YEARS. COVID took away all of our competitions we were scheduled for l

Day 4 Post-Op (Posted 5/13/2016)

Well, I had my surgery! Check in time for it was at 6am, so I was up bright and early along with my whole family. My anxiety level was through the roof as expected. The first nurse then called me in and took me back to registration and I had my mom come with me. At that point I had changed into my gown and was on the hospital bed with an IV line in me. It was all happening so quickly and I was so scared that I started crying. Oh and of course I am the youngest patient in there... But my nurse Jenn at that time was super nice and helped me out and so did my mom. Then I had to say goodbye to my family and go down into pre-op and OR. I started crying again during pre-op cause there were so many weird noises, oxygen tanks, needles, and bright bright BRIGHT big lights. My anxiety was even higher. So after I met my anesthesiologist, I was given a calming medication (aka "happy juice") and right after they inserted that into my IV. After that moment, I blacked out and don't reme

My Blog Absence (Posted 9/30/2016)

A big hello to all of my followers and a big thank you for being so patient... This is probably the longest I've waited to give an update, but I have had one hell of a month. Side note: One of the best things that have happened this month was the article from South Sound Talk on me. I have the link below :) it follows my story: my diagnosis and how I doing now. So check it out! http://www.southsoundtalk.com/2016/09/08/dancers-focus-remains-on-pointe-through-brain-surgery/ Alrighty, time to get to the real stuff.. Earlier this month or even this week (Chiari brain fog guys am I right?) Any who.. We were talking and we talked about how we hear all of these success stories, but they never or barely touch on the hard times, because people want to hear about the good with success stories. Totally understandable. However I feel like that's why I failed and failed over and over again to post anything, because it truly didn't feel like any good was happening in my day-to-day life.