Skip to main content

Just About Surgery Time (Posted 5/8/2016)

Wowzers. It's officially the day before surgery. I thought this day would never come. It sure has been a rough and busy 10 days since I've last written!


I officially moved out of my dorm this past Wednesday. That Wednesday I also woke up with a nasty cold (SOS!!!). Wednesday was of course the 5 day mark meaning I wasn't able to take most medicines... So here I am 5 days before surgery having to battle a lovely cold in time for surgery with no medicine...eek! Luckily on Thursday my mom found a few meds I could take, so that plus sinus rinses have been helping. It didn't really hit me that surgery was so close until I realized I was actually finished with my freshman year and that I was at home for four months. I quickly realized that this surgery was all too real. Yesterday we started preparations as a family. My parents cleaned the house, I started using this cream to prevent infections, and we packed hospital bags. Swedish sent me a 20 minute video presentation about anesthesia that I had to go through and after I finished that, full blown panic. I know that my odds are very good since I'm young and healthy, but it's just a rough procedure and of course it's normal to be scared.


My surgery check in time is 6am and who knows when I will actually be taken back to the OR. The procedure should only take a few hours or so, and then I will be spending the rest of the night in a room in the ICU to my knowledge. I'm not exactly sure how many days I will be spending in the hospital, but it's two days minimum. My mom will be updating through Facebook and I will update on the blog and my personal social medias when I come around. Visitors will not be able to come on Monday, but Tuesday limited visitors are allowed if I am doing okay. So this will be the last post before surgery!


It has been a rough few months, but really a rough few years for my health. The Chiari is linked to so many of my previous health problems and I am so thankful for answers and for being able to get my symptoms relieved (even though I'm scared to death). I really want to give a huge thank you to my family and family friends for supporting me through all of these trials and endless doctors appointments. However I also want to thank my amazing school, Cornish, and the awesome people there. It is extremely challenging to deal with something this big when you are away from home, and the friends, peers, teachers, and staff that surrounded me daily were such a huge help on this journey. Not one day passed where I wasn't taken care of, asked how I was, or given dozens of hugs. I couldn't have gotten through without my amazing team of friends and loved ones. You guys are my rock and will continue to be through surgery and recovery.


Thank you all and happy surgery!!

#CMstrong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Years

 March 28th, 2016. That was the day my life forever changed.  Here we are now, March 28th, 2021, five years later, and my life is no where where I expected or thought it would be that day when I was 19 years old sitting at Swedish Neuroscience Institute at Cherry Hill in Seattle, still a dance major at Cornish College of the Arts. I don't like thinking about that day in detail, in fact when I do, I feel like I become a different person. The past few weeks leading up to today felt very different than in years past.  On March 17th, I was lucky enough to be able to get my second dose of the COVID vaccine and I feel SO relieved which brought a lot of emotions up for me. My anxiety has eased up a small bit and a weight has come off my shoulders. It's been a year since this pandemic hit, and I've never been more aware of my health then ever before.  Yesterday, my dancers had their first competition in almost 2 YEARS. COVID took away all of our competitions we were scheduled for l

Day 4 Post-Op (Posted 5/13/2016)

Well, I had my surgery! Check in time for it was at 6am, so I was up bright and early along with my whole family. My anxiety level was through the roof as expected. The first nurse then called me in and took me back to registration and I had my mom come with me. At that point I had changed into my gown and was on the hospital bed with an IV line in me. It was all happening so quickly and I was so scared that I started crying. Oh and of course I am the youngest patient in there... But my nurse Jenn at that time was super nice and helped me out and so did my mom. Then I had to say goodbye to my family and go down into pre-op and OR. I started crying again during pre-op cause there were so many weird noises, oxygen tanks, needles, and bright bright BRIGHT big lights. My anxiety was even higher. So after I met my anesthesiologist, I was given a calming medication (aka "happy juice") and right after they inserted that into my IV. After that moment, I blacked out and don't reme

My Blog Absence (Posted 9/30/2016)

A big hello to all of my followers and a big thank you for being so patient... This is probably the longest I've waited to give an update, but I have had one hell of a month. Side note: One of the best things that have happened this month was the article from South Sound Talk on me. I have the link below :) it follows my story: my diagnosis and how I doing now. So check it out! http://www.southsoundtalk.com/2016/09/08/dancers-focus-remains-on-pointe-through-brain-surgery/ Alrighty, time to get to the real stuff.. Earlier this month or even this week (Chiari brain fog guys am I right?) Any who.. We were talking and we talked about how we hear all of these success stories, but they never or barely touch on the hard times, because people want to hear about the good with success stories. Totally understandable. However I feel like that's why I failed and failed over and over again to post anything, because it truly didn't feel like any good was happening in my day-to-day life.