Skip to main content

Just About Surgery Time (Posted 5/8/2016)

Wowzers. It's officially the day before surgery. I thought this day would never come. It sure has been a rough and busy 10 days since I've last written!


I officially moved out of my dorm this past Wednesday. That Wednesday I also woke up with a nasty cold (SOS!!!). Wednesday was of course the 5 day mark meaning I wasn't able to take most medicines... So here I am 5 days before surgery having to battle a lovely cold in time for surgery with no medicine...eek! Luckily on Thursday my mom found a few meds I could take, so that plus sinus rinses have been helping. It didn't really hit me that surgery was so close until I realized I was actually finished with my freshman year and that I was at home for four months. I quickly realized that this surgery was all too real. Yesterday we started preparations as a family. My parents cleaned the house, I started using this cream to prevent infections, and we packed hospital bags. Swedish sent me a 20 minute video presentation about anesthesia that I had to go through and after I finished that, full blown panic. I know that my odds are very good since I'm young and healthy, but it's just a rough procedure and of course it's normal to be scared.


My surgery check in time is 6am and who knows when I will actually be taken back to the OR. The procedure should only take a few hours or so, and then I will be spending the rest of the night in a room in the ICU to my knowledge. I'm not exactly sure how many days I will be spending in the hospital, but it's two days minimum. My mom will be updating through Facebook and I will update on the blog and my personal social medias when I come around. Visitors will not be able to come on Monday, but Tuesday limited visitors are allowed if I am doing okay. So this will be the last post before surgery!


It has been a rough few months, but really a rough few years for my health. The Chiari is linked to so many of my previous health problems and I am so thankful for answers and for being able to get my symptoms relieved (even though I'm scared to death). I really want to give a huge thank you to my family and family friends for supporting me through all of these trials and endless doctors appointments. However I also want to thank my amazing school, Cornish, and the awesome people there. It is extremely challenging to deal with something this big when you are away from home, and the friends, peers, teachers, and staff that surrounded me daily were such a huge help on this journey. Not one day passed where I wasn't taken care of, asked how I was, or given dozens of hugs. I couldn't have gotten through without my amazing team of friends and loved ones. You guys are my rock and will continue to be through surgery and recovery.


Thank you all and happy surgery!!

#CMstrong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Months & Counting (Posted 8/8/2016)

Hello everyone. It's about time for another update! Many things have happened in the past three weeks, but I just find it weird that I'm a day away from my three month post-op mark. It feels like it was just yesterday that I was still a freshman at Cornish moving out and trying to prepare for the surgery itself! July 24th-31st I was able to be in Huntington Beach, CA with my best friend Megan! It was such a perfect getaway, nice and relaxing. It was so great to see her and to be able to escape my reality, even if it was just for a week. I could write about that trip for hours, so I will just keep it at that so I don't begin to ramble. When I got home, I didn't give myself a break. The next day, I took a contemporary class, taught a class, and went to physical therapy and I did pretty well I have to say! I've been working really hard in my rehabilitation process with physical therapy and massage therapy and it's been helping a lot. At my 6 week appointment, I was...

2 Weeks Post-Op (Posted 5/23/2016)

I cannot believe it has only been two weeks since I had my massive surgery. I can honestly say that I am pretty darn proud of how far I have come since May 9th. On a side note, I was trying to create a mid-week post, but for now at least I think updating once a week through my blog is most beneficial for myself. This way all of my followers can get a summary of how things are and I can reflect on my personal progress! So here we are. This past week has been a lot easier than the last. After my puking incident, we were able to get my pain under control and have it stay that way consistently. I was noticing a pattern of what times during the day I get tired or need rest and when my pain is increased. By switching some of my medications around on my time schedule, I was feeling a lot better and more relaxed (to the highest degree a brain surgery patient can be). Wednesday was my first day out of the house since Oliver's adoption and it was so successful! I'm going to be honest and...

Day 4 Post-Op (Posted 5/13/2016)

Well, I had my surgery! Check in time for it was at 6am, so I was up bright and early along with my whole family. My anxiety level was through the roof as expected. The first nurse then called me in and took me back to registration and I had my mom come with me. At that point I had changed into my gown and was on the hospital bed with an IV line in me. It was all happening so quickly and I was so scared that I started crying. Oh and of course I am the youngest patient in there... But my nurse Jenn at that time was super nice and helped me out and so did my mom. Then I had to say goodbye to my family and go down into pre-op and OR. I started crying again during pre-op cause there were so many weird noises, oxygen tanks, needles, and bright bright BRIGHT big lights. My anxiety was even higher. So after I met my anesthesiologist, I was given a calming medication (aka "happy juice") and right after they inserted that into my IV. After that moment, I blacked out and don't reme...